Monday, October 23, 2017

On healing and nourishment


Happy Monday, folks! I am going to do my best to start updating this blog more regularly, partly for you lovely people and partly for my own memory-keeping / sanity.  Today I feel like total crap so let's talk about health and diets!

Recently, for the sake of my health among other reasons, I started a new diet. I researched many different diets (being gluten/dairy free is pretty much a diet on its own) and after all that research and factoring in my personal health and after speaking to a doctor I began the keto diet. So far I've had great results (besides my cheat day but we will get to that) and overall feel much better. I was a little apprehensive starting this diet because the misinformation floating around about it is without measure but in the end it seemed like the best choice for me.

Here are of few of the reasons why I chose this diet:
→ It is a high fat, low carb diet so it allows me to eat less food overall but still feel full. This also helps curb cravings!
→ It's less restrictive than other diets. There is little to no calorie counting, though you do need to keep track of your carb, protein and fat in-take. (I use the app my fitness pal.) The ideal day on keto is 1200 calories (unless weight loss isn't a priority then the usual calorie intake is good.) 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbohydrates. I know you're probably freaking out about heart health here but take into account there is no evidence that good fats (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated omega-3s) cause any increase in bad cholesterol.
→ Excessive exercise isn't required to lose weight. Most people on Keto lose anywhere from 10 to 20lbs in the first few weeks. You can go about your normal work-out routine and still benefit from weight loss.
→  Keto has been proven to help regulate your blood sugar. Numerous studies have been done to show the positive results seen in people with Diabetes and even Epplispley on Keto. Read more about that: here

To give you a better general understanding of why and how this diet works I first have to explain Ketosis. Ketosis in the state in which the body produces ketones and burns fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. This is a perfectly normal metabolic process, though it most often occurs during starvation. It's.... really as simple as that. The idea is to stay in a state of Ketosis and your body using fat for energy.
This is my third week in this diet and while I made it through the dreaded keto-flu I made an epic mistake and during a moment of sadness I made myself a big'ol gluten free pizza and ate half of it. I even ate a bowl of ICE CREAM. Oh man, the carbs. THE CARBS! And the pain I feel in my stomach! I was up all night in the bathroom hugging a pillow listening to podcasts. Moral of the story? Don't cheat on your diet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment